The São Luís de Almádena Fort was built in 1632, during the reign of Filipe II, by D. Luís de Sousa, Count of Prado, Governor and Captain-General of the Kingdom of the Algarve.
The fort, which is now in ruins, had the objective of defending the tuna fishing trap that existed here at that time, from the attacks of North African pirates and privateers that were intense in this area.
The fort consisted of walls, a moat, weapons gate, barracks and artillery batteries (high and low). Was in use until 1861, the year in which it was abandoned.
Photo credits: Vila do Bispo Municipality.